The art of walking upright Is the art of using both feet... One is for holding on The other is for letting go...

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Bonjour from Clermont Ferrand!

I made it safely to France and it was fantastic to see Emma waiting at the airport. After manhandling the bike and pack on and off various trains, and a three hour wait for our train to Clemont Ferrand we finally got home!

Emma's place is really sweet; 10km from Clemont Ferrand (all uphill) with an outlook over the valley, although when I arrived my eyes were out on stalks!

Yesterday (Tuesday) I spent the day with Emmas flatmate Pascal who with much patience begun my instruction in french. It is a lot easier learning French in France than in the office at Opus (suprise suprise). Although there are a lot of difficult sounds to make. Still, I managed to ask where the post office was and buy a drink (although that involved more pointing than talking).

We went mountainbiking in the afternoon with Emmas boyfriend Jean Jacques, Carole and Thomas followed by dinner once we finally escaped the enormous mosquitos and nettles (I can now vouch for not falling into a bush of stinging nettles; its still itchy!!!).

Today Ive spent the day relaxing and getting out on the bike. I have lunch with Em at her work so brought bagettes and yogurt from the bouloungerie and went for a couple hour ride through various villages. The NZ cycle shirt is fantastic (much easier than trying to explain that Im not English).... Then we went into Clemont to sort out a few things and have a look around.

The next trip is to Lyon this weekend so will continue to practice my french (and hopefully not butcher it too much) and get a few more kms in the old legs. Weather is fantastic as is France!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home