The art of walking upright Is the art of using both feet... One is for holding on The other is for letting go...

Monday, August 28, 2006

Village Life

Hi All

Well, I'm just back from a four day village experience, basically to get an idea of village life in Vanuatu. I was lucky enough to stay with a fantastic family, Noel, Hanzel and their extended family in the village of Eretape.

Vanuatu is definitely a food basket! There is kakai (food) everywhere... if only the people on Survivor Vanuatu had known! Its been great to get a taste of all the various local produce, including manioc, taro, kumala, shellfish, many fish, banana (green and ripe) etc, and learn how to prepare them, with laplap, making coconus milk, roasting etc. Some, such as the small intestines preserved inside a bamboo pot was not quite to my taste, but I definitely didn't go hungry, as food is such a big part of life here.

We went fishing on the reef, although my techique needs some work (the one that got away eh?), planting island cabbage and coconus, go long walkabout and a lot of talking in bislama. Learning the language seems to be coming along alright... as long as people talk slow slow : )

The family I stayed with are from a couple of other islands near Santo: Pentecost and Ambae.... and so it looks like a trip to Pentecost will be planned in November, before the rainy season (and to show my cousin around). Noel is keen to show us around and I think it definitely pays to go with locals.

Also, I have aquired my first "island dress" ie a motherhubbard dress. Not sure if I'll actually wear it though...

Anyway, will be back in touch later this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home