The art of walking upright Is the art of using both feet... One is for holding on The other is for letting go...

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Red Tape, Vanuatu Style

Welcome to customs.... I thought it would be easy. My unaccompanied luggage went straight to Santo. However, yesterday I got my first real taste of the red tape to clear my bags.

1. Go to post office. Himia telum me go long airport.
2. Go to airport. Pickup wan form belong me.
3. Go to wharf customs. Himia telum me go long wan customs agent ia.
4. Go first fulla customs agent. Himia closed.
5. Go segond fulla customs agent. Himia open, but computer blong him, himia broke.
6. Go third fulla customs agent. Himia open, computer workum slowly tumas. Gettum wan stamp after 1 hour.
7. Go to wharf customs. Himia telum me go long post office for custom office manager.
8. Go post office. Himia require wan letter telum him me stap 2 yia long luganville, me workum long Wantok Environment Centre. Me require luggage belong me.
9. Me writem wan letter.
10. Go to post office. Give letter, pay money.
11. Go to wharf customs office. Give stack of paperwork. Pay money.
12. Go to airport. Give stack of paper work. Pay money. Recievem bags belong me..


Whew!!! So that was my first afternoon of work.
But, I met a frenchman in the morning who is helping with a biodiversity expedition in Santo... so went to a meeting to hear about what they're doing and will try and get more involved with that.

Have finished unpacking and am settled in... mosquito nets and all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home