The art of walking upright Is the art of using both feet... One is for holding on The other is for letting go...

Monday, October 09, 2006

bicycles, bissious and boils....

so, the story begins...

Friday (one week ago) the girls and I went to DecoStop, a local resort for drinks and dinner. The plan was to meet up with a couple of scientists from the Santo 2006 Scientific Expedition, however the last time I spoke to them they were somewhat non-commital. While we waited we had a glass of vino and watched various people arrive, including three French sailors from the Alice, the Expedition ship. I'ld met the chief Engineer Franco (bubu) a few weeks ago walking to the maritime college, so went up and said bonsoir. His english is about the same as my french, but he managed to ask if we would like to join them at their table for dinner, so Jess, Jen and I said the obvious: pour quai pas (why not). In the very french way they proceeded with a full dinner, while we suped on dessert and vino. The two other sailors: Bob (very french name eh), in his 40's from the Basque region, who spoke no english whatsoever, and Vincent, mid twenties, handsome and able to parle Anglaise, from New Caledonia.

So, the evening progressed with more vino, halted english, french and hand signals till the restaurant closed and it was suggested that we go back to my maison for a petit soiree. So more wine, a bit of music and even a little dancing! haha. Vincent seemed to take a shine to me, probably helped by the fact that he'ld been to NZ 10 times and his best friend was from Tokoroa! Fancy that! Franco took a liking to Jen (there's not much to the despiration in the eyes of sailors I think!) and Jess ensured that the music was just right... Poor Bob, the third wheel, kept to himself. Well, its decided that Bissious are a cunning ploy by the French to get a Pash! The sailors decided to go home as there was no room for them to stay.... so with bissious all round, and a couple of failed attempts for a little more by Vincent, they were off back to the ship. A very funny entertaining evening for us girls!

The next day I went to the maritime college to find some help to fix my bike as the big chain ring wasn't working. There was a happy hour so I stayed on for that and met up with the sailors again. Lots of "eyes" made across the room but I had a big ride the following morning, so had dinner and headed back home with bike in tow...

Capt Margaret, a volunteers wife, and I go for a regular mountainbike ride in the weekends, so she came to my house at 6am and we headed for what proceeded to be a very muddy 72 kilometre ride through the bush, farmland and the main road to Big Bay. 72 kilometres was huge really, and we hit the wall on the way back, so stopped at a village to ask for a coconut and proceeded to be fed laplap, biscuits and lemon leaf tea. We only had 1000 Vatu so ended up giving a lavalava in exchange for their generosity. Back to town through the rain, we were both covered from head to toe in mud, so went to the ocean for a swim. My clothes are still brown despite intensive soaking and scrubbing. It was at this point I started to notice what appeared to be a spot on my check becoming a bit sore....

On Monday it was back to the Maritime College and who should I bump into but Vincent! So we chatted for a bit and arranged to go out for a meal the following day. My cheek was slightly swollen at this stage and consulting various people who's opinions ranged from milipede bite to boils, decided to ice it and see how it went.

Tuesday arrived and with it a bit of a cough and a third cheek- it was that swollen. I went to WTEC to see the girls and we consulted the internet to see what to do: a poltice was prescribed, hotwater and onion, so I spent the next day and a half applying this to my face, which continued to swell. Of course the "date" was rain-checked, faining flu like symptons as well as an enlarged face! That evening was a nightmare. It got to the point of no return and I stopped eating at 7ish as I was pretty sure that I would go to the hospital in the morning. The rest of the nite was fitful sleeps, boiling water and onions and compresses on my face. When I ran my workmate Jess to take me to the hospital I was almost in tears.

Jess arrived with food and a copy of New Idea (including the special tribute to Steve Irwin), reminisant of medical establishments in NZ and Aussie. After paying 200 Vatu ($1.50NZ) we waited for our number, saw the doctor and headed eventually to the nurses station to wait for the surgon after confirming that the boila would have to be drained. This was all done in Bislama. Once the surgon finished his meeting, I was taken to the surgery, "Jandels at the door please" and shown to a changing room. When given a surgical gown I asked "Is it really necessary to wear this for such a small procedure?" After a quisical look, the nurse confirmed that it was so I proceeded to get changed and then was led down the corridor to the surgery. Inside a small room was not much more than a padded wooden plank which I was asked to lay down on, with a big light shining above. Think M*A*S*H. Two boards on either side for my arms, one arm tied to the board with an IV put in, the other with a heartrate monitor on my finger. I felt like Jesus Christ. "Have you ever had an operation before under general anesthetic?" "I think so". Now that I come to think of it, I dont think I have! As I drifted off to sleep while the Ni-Van doctors got ready all I was thinking was that I was greatful to have my face drained!

After waking up following the 20min operation, with a massive bandage on my face, I was pretty drowsy for 4-5 hours. Eventually I went home, and Margaret came over to feed me with soup and make sure I was okay. The phone rang and it was Vincent seeing if the date was on.... I told him I had been in hospital so might have to wait a few days or so. Understanding languages other than your own on the phone is difficult at the best of times, but I think he got the message.

The following days involved a daily trip to the hospital to get the dressing changed, followed by refinement with band-aids by me afterwards. By Thursday I was capable of showing my face but the ship arrived in after 7pm, so when Vincent called it was a bit late. So the big date was planned for Friday!

Friday night arrived and eventually Vincent arrived at my house, after going down the "wrong white road" and getting a little lost. My first date in quite a while, we had a lovely dinner at Hotel Santo, and the band-aid seemed to do the trick! He was going back to New Caledonia on Sunday, but invited me to their crew leaving party at the boat the following day... A funny party in itself, crazy french/new caledonian/ni-vanuatu sailors singing songs, eating pork and taro, drinking tusker etc.

So was a pretty crazy week! Back to normal now though, work and such... C'est la vie : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home